- Research Project
- Contact Details
The Experimental Medicine Department (EMD) contributes to KAIMRC mission namely advancing knowledge and improving human health through excellent animal research services in support of biomedical research and teaching.
Animal Research Facility: The state-of-the-art animal research facilities at King Abdullah International Medical Center are designed according to international standards to ensure safety and human care of research animals. Three vivariums are expected to be or are already operational in Riyadh, Dammam and Al Ahsa. These animal core facilities are composed of 4 units namely the laboratory animals, reproductive biology and transgenesis, imaging, and experimental surgery. Facilities provided include a complete range of equipment for recombinant DNA research, transgenic development, together with the latest generation of optical, and SPECT Imaging and Magnetic Resonance imaging. Each vivarium is staffed with highly qualified veterinarians to ensure proper handling, care, and use of animals in scientific, human, and ethical principles. Further, each Vivarium Research Facility is open for international accreditation and regular monitoring by the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee.
Biomedical Research: The research arm of the department is dedicated to performing biomedical research mainly in two broad areas of a) Heat-stroke and b) Obesity, insulin-resistance and Type2 Diabetes.
- To develop and use animal models to study the pathogenesis of diseases relevant to KSA at molecular, cellular and whole organism levels
- To evaluate novel preventive and therapeutic strategies for these diseases in relevant animal models, followed by carefully designed clinical and translational studies
- To assist investigators at The Ministry of National Guard Hospitals in planning and conducting animal experiments in compliance with international regulations together with KAIMRC research policies and procedures.
- To provide training for scientists, technicians and students in the proper handling, care and use of animals in scientific research and education in accordance with the highest scientific, humane and ethical guidelines and principles.
For these purposes, EMD:
- Develops and maintains a comprehensive high quality animal care program
- Develops and implements institutional policy, animal care and use policy including animal husbandry and veterinary care
- Obtains international accreditation for the Animal Facility Laboratory to ensure quality of the published research results and international credibility and accreditation using animal models.
- Heat-Stroke Research
- Obesity, Insulin-Resistance And Type2 Diabetes