- Research Projects
- Contact Details
The mission of the Department of Cellular Therapy and Cancer Research (CTCR) at KAIMRC is to improve the management of cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular and immunological diseases through high-quality and innovative research, teaching, and training.
CTCR department at KAIMRC has a team of scientists and several technologists advancing research in the following areas:
- Cellular Therapy
- Tissue Engineering
- Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine.
The department has existing collaborations with national and international research organizations. We are also continuously striving to build new relationships within and outside KAIMRC through partnerships to establish a robust inter-disciplinary department.
Our vision is to serve humanity by generating high-quality research that can help improve a patient’s quality of life. Simultaneously, we are working towards developing prevention strategies to minimize the burden on healthcare systems.
Our institution has mandated precision and personalized medicine as the future of healthcare. We are working to fulfill that mandate by generating evidence using indigenous state-of-the-art technologies.
Research Focus Areas
Cellular Therapy and Cancer Research:
CTCR has identified three types of cancers based on tissue of origin – Breast, Colorectal, and blood. These are focused research areas aided by epigenetics, genomics, CAR-T cell technology, stem cell technology, signaling pathways, nanotechnology, cell, and molecular biology techniques.
Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine:
Another focus area of CTCR is Stem cell research. We have a team of dedicated stem cell expert scientists whose goal is to utilize stem cells’ therapeutic properties against various diseases, including cancer and metabolic disorders. Stem cells possess pleiotropic properties that include immune-modulation, inhibition of apoptosis, fibrosis and oxidative stress, secretion of trophic factors, and enhancement of angiogenesis. Based on these properties, stem cells are widely used for the treatment of several diseases. We have made significant headway in many areas of treatment of these diseases. Currently, we are advancing our research to preclinical and clinical trials.
- Development of new therapeutic strategies
- Generating evidence to guide prevention policies and procedures
- Development of stem cells disease models
- Advancing the concept of precision/personalized medicine
- Generate cost-effective cancer model for diagnosis and treatment outcome prediction
- Provide education and training to junior investigators.
- Cancer Research
- The usage of microRNAs for leukemia treatment
- New therapy generation for Leukemia
- Targeting brain tumors through Notch signaling pathway
- Exploring natural crops as anticancer agents against leukemia, colorectal, and brain cancers
- Targeting cancer stem cell as a treatment approach against cancer
- Characterization of novel tumor suppressor genes and use them as drug targets
- Biomarker discovery for metastasis
- Understanding mechanisms of chemoresistance
- Studying molecular determinants of cancer progression
- Stem Cells Research
- Prognostic evaluation of Traumatic Brian injury using stem cells secretion
- Cellular and metabolic assessment of genetic disorders using stem cells
- Usage of placental based stem cells to understand cardiac pathogenesis
- Generation of stem cells sheet to generate breast cancer research model.
- Detection of novel biomarkers for cancer stem cells isolation
- Study exosomes role in myocardial infarction through Telomerase
- Placental stem cells role in reducing pathogenicity in a diabetes model
- Induced pluripotent stem cell epilepsy disease model